Data leaks or breaches can have severe consequences, from losing access to specific sites to having your personal information stolen due to using the same password on multiple accounts.
A secure and reliable password manager not only keeps your credentials safe but also helps you create unique, secure passwords to ensure the safety of your accounts.
A password manager eliminates the need to remember multiple complex passwords, as you only need to remember one password to access the manager.
In this article, we will present you with the top 5 secure password managers of 2023 that can secure your data from breaches and hacks and provide a convenient way to store all your data in a single secure location.
NordPass is at the top of our list of the highest-rated password managers. It is part of a comprehensive online security suite that includes NordLocker for encrypted file storage and NordVPN.
Getting started with NordPass is easy. Like other password managers, it uses a master password to protect your vault and syncs all data across devices. You can also use Touch ID or Face ID (iOS only), or Fingerprint on other devices as an alternative.
Two-factor authentication (2FA) requires an authentication app, and when a new device is added, a 6-digit code will be sent to your email. Additionally, NordPass goes above and beyond by offering next-gen XChaCha20 encryption with Argon 2 for key derivation. While AES 256-bit encryption used by competitors is still secure, XChaCha20 is easier to integrate and less prone to misconfiguration.
NordPass is user-friendly, offering all the features an average user needs. You can generate passwords and check their strength, use autofill and autosave, and share login credentials. Additionally, it includes a real-time Data Breach Scanner that scans leaked databases for your passwords and credit card details and alerts you via in-app notification or email if any of your information is found.
- Data Folders for organizing information into different categories for easy access
- OCR for automatically scanning text from credit cards, documents, and photos
- Offline mode for accessing your vault without an internet connection
- Emergency access which allows you to designate a contact to have read-only access to your account in case of emergency
- Password Sharer is an end-to-end encrypted tool for sharing passwords, passport details, or secret messages on the NordPass website.
- Password import supports various password managers and allows for easy transfer of existing passwords but requires manual checking to ensure the imported file meets NordPass criteria.
- 2 year Plan – 2 years = $1.43
- 1 year Plan – 1 year = $1.99
Roboform is a well-established and recognized password manager that has been in the market for a long time. It was one of the pioneers in this field, and its primary focus was on catering to the needs of businesses.
To enhance security, Roboform offers the option to use two-factor authentication (2FA) to protect your vault. Additionally, all the data uploaded to the platform is protected with military-grade AES-256 encryption to ensure maximum security.
- Industry-standard password generator that creates difficult-to-hack passwords with modifiable variables
- One-click login feature as an alternative to autofill
- Secure sharing of credentials with other RoboForm users
- Shared folders that can be securely shared with other trusted users
- Dark web monitoring to detect data leaks
- Detailed reports of current passwords' health
- Per month = $0.99
1Password is a comprehensive solution for password management that offers a range of features such as password storage, generation, and management at a reasonable price. However, it may have some minor imperfections.
In 1Password, you only need to remember one Master Password or use biometric logins such as fingerprint or face ID. Two-factor authentication is also available through the use of a one-time password generated by your phone. The password manager is compatible with a wide range of platforms, including Chrome OS and the command line, and offers browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Brave. The data is automatically synced across devices, and the password-sharing feature allows for an unlimited number of guest accounts.
- Watchtower: A dark web scanner that checks if a website supports 2FA.
- Travel Mode: A feature for hiding sensitive information on your phone while you're away, that works on all devices.
- Authentication app: 1Password can be configured to work as an authentication app for some websites like Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- Item Sharing: Share any item in the vault with a person that does not have a 1password account, using a link that expires after a set period of time or one view.
- Business = $7.99 – 14 days trial
- Team Starter Pack = $19.95 – 14 days trial
- Enterprise = Get a custom quote
Keeper is a password manager that prioritizes security through a zero-knowledge approach. This means your data is encrypted on your device before it is sent to the provider's servers. Access to the tool is protected by a master password.
Keeper offers a variety of two-factor authentication options including SMS, Google, Microsoft Authenticator (TOTP), RSA SecurID, Duo Security, U2F (YubiKey), and KeeperDNA, which allows biometric authentication. Keeper is also compatible with various platforms including Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS and it also has browser extensions that work with Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, and IE. Users can access the vault from the Keeper website. The browser extension allows for autofill of credentials, password generation, adding new passwords, and customizing security settings.
- KeeperChat: An exclusive feature that offers a secure messaging system with self-destructing messages and a media gallery.
- Security Audit: A feature that checks the strength of all your passwords and suggests changing weak ones.
- Breach Watch: A dark web scanner that checks if your usernames or passwords have been stolen.
- Import/Export: You can import from your current password manager or web browser to Keeper. It supports various password managers and browser imports such as Dashlane, 1Password, ZOHO, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, and Internet Explorer. Also, it allows the export to PDF, .csv, or .json files.
- Business Starter – $2.00 per user per month
- Business – $3.75 per user per month
- Enterprise – Get a custom quote
Dashlane offers two-factor authentication (2FA) as a measure to protect your account. Along with this, it allows you to access your password vault with your master password or biometrics such as Touch ID or Face ID. It's important to note that biometric login is not a replacement for your master password and you will still need it to access Dashlane from a new device.
This password manager is user-friendly and simple to install. It is compatible with mobile devices and has browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, and Edge. You can also import passwords from most browsers, excluding mobile devices.
- Dark web scanner: This tool uses your email to check for leaks of personal information such as passwords or banking details and helps prevent data theft.
- Built-in VPN: This feature encrypts your traffic and hides your IP address, though it may not be as advanced as other VPNs. It can connect to 20+ countries.
- Password health checker: Informs you if your passwords are secure and when it's time to change them.
- Secure share: This allows you to share your credentials securely with friends, family, or co-workers.
- Premium – unlimited devices = $2.05 per month
- Family – unlimited devices = $3.75 per month
When selecting a password manager, it's crucial to weigh security against ease of use. A highly secure password manager may not be practical if it's cumbersome to use, which can lead to users opting for insecure shortcuts. To find the best fit for you, take into account the platforms and devices you use, the types of credentials you need to store, and any additional tools that would be beneficial.
Readers Disclosure: Our content is supported by our reader, that means some of the link from this article and within this website are affiliate links. If you click any of these links, then we may earn a commission with no extra cost to you.